Friday, January 20, 2012

Think about the cultural diversity you see in your colleagues at school, in your neighborhood, in your workplace, and also, possibly, within your family. Consider all the aspects that make up culture, including race, religion, political affiliation, sexual orientation, varying abilities, and so on.
This was almost a trick question for me; however I must admit I do find myself communicating differently with people from different groups and cultures. As the fifth of seven daughters I did not ask therefore I did not get.  I moved cross country at the age of eighteen and yet, that stands true to this day.  
 Among my husband, daughters, colleagues and friends I am know for my willingness to speak up.  Respectfully as I possibly can, I speak up. I believe that it’s important for me to speak up for what I need in all of my relationships.  Being a professional I the early childhood field a must speak up for those who cannot speak up for themselves.  Our most vulnerable included. 
I’m embarrassed to say I have found myself communicating on a preschool leave to those who might speak English very well.  Using heavy pronunciations or speaking extremely slowly.  How about speaking loud, I pray I don’t do that! 
Based on what I have learned this week, three strategies I could use to help me communicate more effectively with the people or groups I have identified; Be an active, empathic, and patient listener. 

3 comments:

  1. It is interesting how we adjust our communication styles with the various people we interact with in our lives. All of our strategies will help us to be good communicators with others.
    Tamara

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lilliane, 6 sisters - oh my. I am the oldest of 4 siblings and I do communicate with each of them differently. I am learning in this class that this is normal. We have to adjust accordingly in order to communicate with others.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow one of seven. I would think that you would have to learn how to be a good communicator. I like being able to read everyone's strategies. I find myself writing down a few that will help me as well. I like your three and agree that a patient listen is vital to effective communication.

    ReplyDelete